What is the Imperfect Portraits card?
Loosen people up by getting them to draw each other.
Using a time limit for this will force people to let go of perfectionism, and the slightly awkward intimacy will help forge closer bonds. It’s weirder with people who haven’t met each other before, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it anyway.
How to use the Imperfect Portraits card
1. Make sure everyone has a pen and paper, then split your group into pairs.
2. Set a timer for 1 minute, and get each person to draw a quick portrait of their partner. Remind them not to take this too seriously.
3. When time’s up, get everyone to reveal their portraits to their partner and the wider group.
Things to bear in mind:
• Some (if not all) of the portraits might not be flattering, but that’s OK.
• What’s important is that everyone’s had a chance to connect, and to create something that gets an emotional response.
• How polished or grotesque the portraits turn out to be is really beside the point.
• If you run this activity online, people will need to be on camera.