Big, Small, Inside, Outside
What is the Big, Small, Inside, Outside story tactic?
You might have a Big Story to tell the world. But you'll spend more time telling small stories to colleagues.
Big stories: rehearsed explanations of"why we do this" or "what's coming next," usually delivered one-to-many.
Small stories: spontaneous examples of"how we do things round here," usually told in conversation.
Inside: you tell to people you work with.
Outside: you tell to everyone else.
Try this alongside Audience Profile to start planning your stories.
How to use the Big, Small, Inside, Outside story tactic
Small Story, Inside:
- Habit/Training: use Emotional Dashboard stories with colleagues.
- Appraisal: use Story Listening to explore skills and expertise.
- Culture: Thoughtful Failures define "how we do things round here".
Small Story, Outside:
- Blog / Social: What's It About? gives you small, practical examples of what you do.
- Brand: Hero & Guide stories bring your brand values to life.
Big Story, Inside:
- Induction: Drive Stories show new staff what you expect.
- Awards: find a Rolls Royce Moment you can all celebrate
- Pitch: make your next bid for funding Pitch Perfect.
- Recruitment: try: Curious Tales to see what makes candidates tick.
- Conference: get your presentation right with Show & Tell.
You might like these Storyteller Tactics