What is the Communication Matrix card?
Be intentional with your communications, keep people informed and build trust.
In a fast-paced environment a lack of accountability often means things get missed. Keep track of all the things you need to communicate on a regular basis.
“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw
How to use the Communication Matrix card
1. With your team, write a list of all the things you need to communicate. For example: project status update, design strategy update, team changes, all religious festivals.
2. Group them using Theme Sort.
3. Work through the following questions as a group, for the things you need to communicate (with examples):
• Who in the team? Delivery manager.
• Says what? Who has joined/left.
• In which channel? The weekly all-hands meeting.
• To whom? The whole team.
• With what effect? To help people feel welcome/appreciated for their efforts.
• When? Weekly.
4. Keep track of your regular communications in a shared space everyone can access and review every 3 months.