Roles and Responsibilities
What is the Roles and Responsibilities card?
Understand each other’s roles better, and learn who is responsible for what.
Defining clear responsibilities prevents confusion around hierarchy and expertise. It reduces duplicate work and promotes better collaboration.
How to use the Roles and Responsibilities card
1. On a large surface, such as a whiteboard, create a column for each discipline within the team.
For example: Designer, Developer and Product Owner.
2. Create three rows: Do, Discuss, Decide.
3. On sticky notes, to build empathy – ask each person to complete the three rows for the discipline of the person sat to their left:
Do: what are the core activities of their discipline?
Discuss: what do they discuss with the wider team?
Decide: what are they responsible for deciding?
4. In turn – stick up, share and discuss what has been written down.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4, but this time with the participant’s own discipline to help create clarity.
6. As a group, move, refine and add sticky notes until
everyone is happy with the roles and responsibilities.