Start with Why
What is the Start with Why card?
Inspire action by finding and communicating your team’s “why”?
How are you driving people to take action? Are you inspiring them, or are you manipulating them? Are they doing it because they want to do it, or are they doing it because they fear what may happen if they don’t?
“Great companies don’t hire skilled people and motivate them, they hire already motivated people and inspire them.” – Simon Sinek
How to use the Start with Why card
1. Draw three concentric circles and label them; What, How and Why.
2. As a group discuss: why does your product, service or team exist?
For example: Uber: transportation as reliable as running water, everywhere for everyone.
3. Individually write down your ‘whys’. Use Theme Sort to group similar answers.
4. Discuss the themes. Use Private Vote to decide.
Prompts: where did the ‘whys’ come from? Are they really the reason why we exist?
5. Together, fill in the How and What of the Why.
How: explain how something is different or better.
For example: Uber – we provide affordable, safe and reliable transport that creates a dependable income for drivers.
What: describe the products or services your company sells or the job function.
For example: Uber – we provide a great Taxi service.
6. Consider trying Bring Alignment to connect the dots further.