What is the Team Values card?
While your team vision gives your employees a destination, your team values will help them forge the path to get there.
Starbucks focussed their values around spaces with comfortable chairs, lots of power outlets, tables and desks at which we can work. The coffee was incidental. Find the values your team really works to, and the rest will fall into place.
How to use the Team Values card
1. As a group, discuss the following questions, then spend 10 minutes individually answering them:
• What values will help us to go further?
For example: our passion to get to the root of our users’ problem has led to great products.
• What values do people show that inspire you the most in our team?
For example: being brave and saying no has helped us to focus.
• What differentiates our team from other teams?
For example: we are curious about how everything works.
3. Create a grid with your Value name and answers at the top, and participants down the left.
4. Ask your team to write a summary for each value in their row. Use prompts from Write in Plain English.
For example: for the value ‘Customer focussed’ – focus on the user and all else will follow.
5. Use Private Vote to determine the favoured values.