What is the Team Circles card?
Create smaller teams to break down silos, create meaningful conversations and shared responsibility.
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos famously instituted a rule: every internal team should be small enough that it can be fed with two pizzas. A smaller team spends less time keeping people up to date, and more time doing what needs to be done.
How to use the Team Circles card
1. Invite your team and those who can help connect the dots of your workplace.
2. Draw three concentric circles and label them; Informed, Involved, Core team.
3. Using the following prompts, plot your team circle:
Core team – up to nine people
• A multi-disciplinary team focused on a shared goal.
• Daily communication.
• Includes: designers, engineers, PMs etc.
Involved team – up to 12 people
• Across multiple teams and bring specialist knowledge when needed.
• Includes: Related teams, subject matter experts, policy etc.
Informed team – up to 24 people or teams
• The connectors of dots across the organisation/company.
• Involved fortnightly and for changes in direction.
• Includes: leadership, steering groups, wider organisation etc.
Tip: display your Team Circles to connect teams that regularly collaborate.